Remove a color cast automatically
A color cast is an unpleasant color shift in a photo. For example, a photo taken indoors without a camera flash may have too much yellow. The Remove Color Cast command changes the overall mixture of colors to remove color casts from an image.
- Choose Enhance > Adjust Color > Remove Color Cast.
- In your image, click an area that should be white, black, or neutral gray. The image changes based on the color you selected.
- To start over and undo the changes made to the image, click Reset.
- Click OK to accept the color change.
Remove a color cast using Levels
This technique requires color correction experience and some knowledge of the RGB color wheel.
- Do one of the following:
- Choose Enhance > Adjust Lighting > Levels.
- Choose Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Levels, or open an existing Levels adjustment layer.
- Choose a color channel to adjust from the Channel pop‑up menu:
- Red to add red or cyan to the image.
- Green to add green or magenta to the image.
- Blue to add blue or yellow to the image.
- Drag the middle input slider left or right to add or subtract color.
- Click OK when you are satisfied with the overall color.
Adjust color curves
The Adjust Color Curves command improves color tones in a photo by adjusting highlights, midtones, and shadows in each color channel. For example, this command can fix photos with silhouetted images resulting from strong backlighting, or slightly washed-out objects that were too close to the camera’s flash.
In the Adjust Color Curves dialog box, you can compare and choose different tonal presets. Select from the list of styles in the Select A Style box. To fine-tune the adjustment, adjust the highlights, midtone brightness and contrast, and shadows.
A. Select a Style (choose from presets) B. Adjust Sliders (custom options)
- In Photoshop Elements, open an image.
- To adjust a specific image area or layer, select it with one of the selection tools. (If no selection is made, the adjustment applies to the entire image.)
- Choose Enhance > Adjust Color > Adjust Color Curves.
- Select a style (for example, Backlight or Solarize).
- Adjust the sliders for Highlights, Midtone Brightness, Midtone Contrast, and Shadows.
- To apply the adjustment to your image, click OK. To cancel the adjustment and start over, click Reset. To close the Adjust Color Curves dialog box, click Cancel.